- Rubber bands last longer when refrigerated.
- Peanuts are one of the ingredients of dynamite.
- The national anthem of Greece has 158 verses.
- No one in Greece has memorized all 158 verses.
- There are 293 ways to make change for a dollar.
- The average secretary's left hand does 56% of the typing.
- A shark is the only fish that can blink with both eyes.
- There are more chickens than people in the world.
- Two-thirds of the world's eggplant is grown in New Jersey.
- The longest one-syllable word in the English language is "screeched."
- On a Canadian two dollar bill, the flag flying over the Parliament Building is an
- All of the clocks in the movie Pulp Fiction are stuck on 4:20.
- No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver or purple.
- "Dreamt" is the only English word that ends in the letters "mt".
- All 50 states are listed across the top of the Lincoln Memorial on the back of the $5
- Almonds are members of the peach family.
- Most people know that tomatoes are truly members of the fruit family but refuse to
accept that it's not a vegetable (look it up in the dictionary) however, someone recently
told me that a banana is an herb as opposed to a fruit! I looked *it* up in a dictionary
and it credits it with being a
- fruit. More useless observations embedded below.
- Winston Churchill was born in a ladies' room during a dance.
- Maine is the only state whose name is just one syllable.
- Maine is the only state that only borders on one state. Let's see ... how many states
border on the same number of states as they have syllables in their name? Ernie? Missouri
borders on more states than any other state, i.e., eight.
- There are only four words in the English language which end in "-dous":
tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous.
- Los Angeles's full name is "El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles de
Porciuncula". And can be abbreviated to 3.63% of its size, "L.A."
- Rhode Island's full name is "Rhode Island and Providence Plantation" and is
neither a road nor an island.
- A cat has 32 muscles in each ear.
- An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.
- Tigers have striped skin, not just striped fur.
- In most advertisements, including newspapers, the time displayed on a watch is 10:10.
- As well as the clock in the scene in the leader to the Mary Tyler Moore show when she
throws her hat in the air walking down the streets of Minneapolis.
- Al Capone's business card said he was a used furniture dealer.
- The only real person to be a Pez head was Betsy Ross.
- Did you see the movie The Client? A guy had a Pez with Elvis' head which he called
Elvis Pezley. Does that make this fact untrue?
- When the University of Nebraska Cornhuskers play football at home, the stadium becomes
the state's third largest city.
- The characters Bert and Ernie on Sesame Street were named after Bert the cop and Ernie
the taxi driver in Frank Capra's "Its A Wonderful Life"
- A dragonfly has a lifespan of 24 hours.
- A goldfish has a memory span of three seconds.
- A dime has 118 ridges around the edge.
- On an American one-dollar bill, there is an owl in the upper left-hand corner of the
"1" encased in the "shield" and a spider hidden in the front upper
- It's impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.
- It's impossible for anyone to keep their eyes open when I sneeze.
- The giant squid has the largest eyes in the world.
- Who's that playing the piano on the "Mad About You" theme? Paul Reiser
- In England, the Speaker of the House is not allowed to speak.
- The name for Oz in the "Wizard of Oz" was thought up when the creator, Frank
Baum, looked at his filing cabinet and saw A-N, and O-Z, hence "Oz."
- The microwave was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tube and a chocolate
bar melted in his pocket.
- Mr. Rogers is an ordained minister.
- John Lennon's first girl friend was named Thelma Pickles.
- The average person falls asleep in seven minutes.
- There are 336 dimples on a regulation golf ball.
- 'Stewardesses' is the longest word that is typed with only the left hand.